Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Any tips for transitioning mtf on a college campus?

I'm studying abroad this spring, and when I get back to my home university in the fall I want to start living as a girl. My college is really accepting of LGBT people, so I'm not really worried about having to put up with flaming bigots, but I can see a lot of potential for awkward interactions with people I know. It's going to be my senior year, and I'm going to be surrounded by people who knew me for a couple years as a guy, most of whom I haven't actively come out to (though I've always been androgynous and feminine (e.g. long hair, earrings, non-masculine personality). In terms of appearance, I look completely feminine (long hair, no visible facial hair, small hands, etc.). My voice is still very masculine, though I'm working on making it more feminine (tips on that would be really appreciated). I'm going to let certain people know I'm trans beforehand, like all professors I have classes with, and my friends already know and are comfortable with it. I'm trying not to draw too much attention to myself, though. Any advice, experience, etc. is welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment